TAMARIND CHUTNEY (Saunth)
CHUTNEY means to “lick” in India, This chutney is so famous in India that you will see various food stalls across the streets selling street food and this tamarind chutney is a part of every food item in the street food category.
From kids to old people everybody likes this chutney as it is sweet and sour, tangy in taste which immediately enhances the flavour of the food dish.
Many food items are incomplete without this Tamarind chutney
It originated in Africa but also grows in India and Pakistan.
It is in a structure where a seed is covered with tangy pulp. In starting it is green in colour but as it ripens it becomes brown in colour and tangy in taste.
It is usually used for cooking purpose, household purpose and used as a medicine as well.
It has anti-inflammatory properties it also protect against heart diseases, diabetes problem as well as cancer.
It has a high content of sugar
POINTS TO REMEMBER-
- Store in a Glass container
- Store in Refrigerator
- It is made in two ways 1- without boiling, it only lasts for a week 2- with boiling, it lasts for about a month
- If you want to freeze it, It can lasts upto 5-6 months
DISHES WHERE YOU CAN USE TAMARIND CHUTNEY-
- Dahi Bhalla
- papri chat
- Tikki Chat
- Moong Daal Ram Laddu
Coriander-mint chutney is also eaten with this street food check out the easy and tasty recipe
HERE –> CORIANDER MINT CHUTNEY
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING TAMARIND CHUTNEY-
- Tamarind (100 gm)
- jaggery (100 gm)
- Salt to taste
- Black salt (1 tsp)
- Red chilli powder (1/2 tsp)
- Garam masala (1/2 tsp)
- Roasted cumin powder (1/2 tsp)
- Fennel powder (1/2 tsp)
- Pudhina leaves for garnishing
- Cashew Nut
- Musk melon seeds
STEPS FOR MAKING TAMARIND CHUTNEY-
- Soak tamarind in hot water with 1/2 hr
- Mash the tamarind and remove the seeds with siever (chalani) or with hands for taking out the pulp
- And then in the tamarind water add jaggery
- Add Salt
- Add black salt
- Put Red chilli powder
- Now, Garam masala
- Then Roasted cumin/jeera powder
- Add fennel powder
- Now, put it on low flame for 5-10 mins
- stir continuously
- keep it aside and let it cool
- Take a bunch of pudhina leaves to grind it nicely and put it in the saunth
- Add some kishmish/Raisin and kaju/Cashew Nut in the chutney
This is an Amazing yet easy recipe of tamarind chutney which you can make within a few minutes and it will taste just like restaurants.
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE AND SHARE BECAUSE SHARING IS CARING!